Fat grafting | Fat transfer | autologous fat transfer
Fat transfer also known as Fat Grafting is a natural technique using your own cells. It is a powerful tool to replace areas where fat is needed. Fat transfer has a dual benefit, both improving the donor site, and transplanting the fat to where it is needed. Fat take survives long term, studies show a retention rate long term of 50-80%. The most popular areas for fat augmentation are the cheek areas, the nasolabial folds and marionette lines. These fill out hollowing and replace fat pockets that have been depleted. Rather than cheek implants, which may become infected or age unnaturally, fat replaces what is lost where it is needed.
Fat can be harvested from the donor site of your choice, these include
- Lower abdomen or tummy area
- Upper abdomen or tummy area
- The flank area or the love handles
- Inside of thighs
- Inside of thighs
- Outside of thighs
Fat can be transferred to:
- The temples
- The lower eyelid trough area
- The cheeks
- The nasolabials
- The marionettes
- The Chin
- The bridge of nose
How is Fat transfer done?
The fat is removed using a thin cannula using a 2mm incision. The fat is gently suctioned out without using heat, ultrasound or laser as these can damage the delicate cells. The fat is then processed to allow maximum cell survival and maximal graft take The fat is then infused as microribbons to the areas where you need it the most. These microribbons distributed as a net improves the contact of each fat cell to a source of blood supply. The fat “takes” by it establishing a blood supply through a process of blood vessel ingrowth and integration. This allows the fat to survive long term
The benefits of fat transfer include
- It is natural, using your own tissues
- It includes plasma (PRP)
- It includes stem cells which may repopulate the area with new cells
- Is in plentiful supply once harvested
- Has a retention rate long term of 50-80%
- Improved appearance of donor site
- It can be repeated if needed
Sculpting the Face
At The Swan Clinic, we believe that each face is unique and each person is unique. Each patient will receive a treatment plan tailored to their needs. Contact us today to ask about our facial rejuvenation package. Assessment includes a thorough workup, standard and 3D photography. Your package may include a combination of skin treatment, fat grafting, fillers and surgery depending on your needs.
How can I prepare for Fat grafting/transfer ?
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 12 weeks after surgery.
- Stop all blood thinners unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with a medicated soap.These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence it reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery.
- Obtain compression garment as discussed below.
How long will the Fat transfer procedure take?
How long will I stay in hospital?
What about exercise?
When can I shower ?
When can I drive?
When can I go back to work?
Do I need a compression garment?
What about scar management?
Best outcomes after procedure
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia.
- Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Wear a compression garment to the donor area (if tummy or thighs, tight compression shorts will do).
- Do not smoke for at least 12 weeks after surgery as this can affect fat survival.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
- Bruising can occur for 2-3 days post procedure
- Swelling can last for up to 12 weeks until the final result is reached