Breast Reduction Surgery
Hypertrophic (abnormally large) breasts can become a concern during adolescence or later in life especially post children. Enlarged breasts can cause neck and back pain and can interfere with every day activities such as exercise. Breast reduction is an operation performed to remove tissue from key areas in the breast towards a breast size suitable for your body. There is no ideal breast size- just one that is suitable for your body. Patients with hypertrophic breast often have a breast print on the chest wall that sits too low. A goal of the surgery is to reposition the breast higher to restore the cleavage curve. The nipple Areolar complexes often need to repositioned higher. As no two breasts are completely the same, part of the goal for this surgery is to reduce any asymmetry and aim towards natural looking and youthful breasts.
Features of Best Breast Reduction Surgeries
The best breast reduction operation restores the breasts to an aesthetic shape. During your visit, the pedicle and scar shape will need to be determined. The pedicle of the breast is where the blood supply comes from. These can be superior-medial or inferiorly based. Which one is chosen, depends on what is right for you. The scar can be around the nipple areolar complex (periarolar), vertical or inverted T. The scar is determined by how much a of a reduction you need. Liposuction may be used as an adjunct to reduce bulge under the arm pits if needed. Our 3D camera, here at The Swan Clinic, can help you plan your surgery through virtual simulation of what can achieved for you. Dr Hadi will discuss all your options and to ensure you are more than comfortable with the final decision you make
How long will the Breast Reduction operation take ?
How can I prepare for surgery?
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Two weeks prior to surgery, stop all anticoagulants and antiplatelet medications unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood, a comprehensive list will be provided during your consultation. Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with anti-bacterial soap. These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence is reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery. You will be given surgery time from Kareena Hospital.
How long will I stay in hospital?
Breast Reduction Sutures
Scar management of Breast Reduction Surgery:
When can I shower after Breast Reduction Surgery?
When can I drive after Breast Reduction Surgery?
Post operative garment
When can I exercise after Breast Reduction?
Best Practices in Plastic Surgery
- Prevention of bleeding through Meticulous haemostasis
- Special blocks to prevent post operative pain
- Use of the internal bra sutures. These are used to anchor the tissues down to near the rib cage. These reinforce the inframammary fold which help prevent breast shape changes with time.
Best Post Operative Outcomes
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia. Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape). However, 12 weeks may be necessary.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
- You will need a baseline mammogram 12 months post surgery to which all subsequent mammograms are compared.
Post Operative Follow-ups
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.