Breast Lift Surgery (Mastopexy)
Mastopexy/Breast Lift Surgery is an operation to fix drooping breasts after weight loss or following breast feeding. A breast lift(Mastopexy) is an operation performed to reposition the breasts higher on the chest wall. This may also involve re-positioning the nipples.
Breast Lift Goals
As no two breasts are completely the same, part of the goal for this surgery is to reduce any asymmetry and aim towards natural looking and youthful breasts. Where there is sufficient tissue, a mastopexy is enough. Lifting the breast higher on the chest wall, can drop the breast size by half a cup size. Even when all the tissue is preserved, moving the breast higher can result in a smaller bra cup size needed as there is more tissue at the top of the breast and less at the bottom.
Upper pole hollowing
Sometimes the upper pole of the breast is hollow. A breast lift can help, but if you want more fullness in the upper breast, you need implants in combination with a breast lift. This is known as an augmentation mastopexy. To find out more, please see our augmentation mastopexy part of the website.
Breast Lift scars?
During your visit, the pedicle and scar shape will need to be determined. The pedicle of the breast is where the blood supply comes from. These can be superior-medial or inferiorly based. Which one is chosen, depends on what is right for you. The scar can be around the nipple areolar complex (periarolar), vertical or inverted T. Which scar shape you need, depends on how much breast ptosis you have and how much needs to be done to reposition the breast. Liposuction may be used as an adjunct to reduce bulge under the arm pits if needed. Our 3D camera at The Swan Clinic, can help you plan your surgery through virtual simulation of what can achieved for you. Dr Hadi will discuss all your options and to ensure you are more than comfortable with the final decision you make.
How long will the operation take ?
How can I prepare for surgery?
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Two weeks prior to surgery, stop all anticoagulants and antiplatelet medications unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood, a comprehensive list will be provided during your consultation. Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with anti-bacterial soap. These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence it reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery. You will be given this time from Kareena Hospital.
How long will I stay in hospital?
Do the sutures need to be removed?
Your wound is closed in layers with dissolvable sutures. We use an internal bra technique that anchors the tissues down close to the ribs to reinforce the inframammary fold and help prevent breast shape changes with time. The overlying sutures are closed in layers which are all dissolvable.
When can I shower?
What about post operative visits?
As a minimum, you will be seen by Dr Hadi after surgery, at one week, at six weeks and twelve months after surgery. This is so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.
When can I drive?
Work after Breast Lift?
Depending on the work you do and how physically demanding it is, you will need 1-2 weeks off before return to work.
What about scar management?
Post Operative Garment for Breast Lift
We will provide this for you. It is a soft crop top that can be zipper closed at the front for your comfort. It needs to be worn as much as possible for 4 weeks.
Post operative best outcomes
Your part in the operation is essential. You can help achieve the best possible outcome by:
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia. Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape). However, 12 weeks may be necessary.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
- You will need a baseline mammogram 12 months post surgery to which all subsequent mammograms are compared.
Plastic surgery before and after photos
Due to the respect and privacy of our patients, we do not publish before and after photos on our website. However, many of our patients have graciously allowed their photos to be viewed by new patients considering the procedure. These photos are available to be viewed during the detailed consultation with Dr Hadi.
Exercise post Breast Lift Surgery?
Gentle walking is encouraged from the next day. Two weeks for leg exercise, Six weeks for upper arm and chest exercises
Best Practice in Plastic Surgery
- Prevention of bleeding through Meticulous haemostasis
- Special blocks to prevent post operative pain
- Use of the internal bra sutures. These are used to anchor the tissues down to near the rib cage. These reinforce the inframammary fold which help prevent breast shape changes with time.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments. As our patient at the The Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.