Augmentation Mastopexy Surgery
A Mastopexy is a Breast lift. Augmentation is placing Breast implants. The combination of Breast implants and breast lift is called an Augmentation Mastopexy. The options for Breast Augmentation Mastopexy differ depending on what you want, but also on your body shape.
The vital factor is nipple position in relation to the breast. The ideal breast is a dome with a cherry on tip. With age and gravity and having children, the shape of the breast changes and then the cherry sits below where it needs to be. Also, most of the breast tissue slides down and sits in the lower half of the breast. And when you look at the breast from the side, it has an overhang. This is called ptosis.
Ptosis and Breast Augmentation
Patients who benefit from a straight Augmentation don’t have ptosis and they can choose from rounds implants or tear drops depending on the look they want.
What if you have a bit of Ptosis. The best test for this is to raise your arms up. If the Ptosis is corrected and the nipple sits in a better position and the overhang disappears, then you would only need an augmentation. In this case the implant would be tear dropped shape and we would have to do a few surgical manoeuvres to get the implant to sit in the right place and adjust the breast tissue over it.
What if you have a lot of ptosis. So, you have done the arm lift test and the breast is still sitting a big low. Then you need an augmentation mastopexy. This means we put the implants under the muscle and then arrange the breast tissue higher. This give us more control about nipple position and breast shape but does involve more scars.
Of course, if you don’t want to go bigger, then a breast lift, maybe the perfect operation for you as a stand-alone operation. However, a breast lift can result in a half a cup size drop. Not because the volume is smaller, but because by rearranging the breast tissue higher on the chest wall, you won’t need such big bra cup to support the breast.
Best practices in Plastic Surgery
- The 14 step plan of infection prevention
- Use of the Keller funnel. This is used to insert the implant with minimal contamination and shortest possible scar. It has become the new standard in Breast implant surgery to try and minimise risk of capsular contracture. You will be able to see and feel the funnel during your consultation.
- prevention of breast implant animation (through careful muscle dissection)
- prevention of bleeding through Meticulous haemostasis
- Special blocks to prevent post operative pain
- Use of the internal bra sutures. These are used to anchor the tissues down to near the rib cage. These reinforce the inframammary fold which help prevent implant migration downwards with time.
- Use of fat grafting as needed. This can give you fuller cleavage or help hide the upper part of the implant in very thin patients.
What are the breast implant options?
• Different widths (depends on your chest width)
• Different projections (how far it projects from the chest wall)
• Smooth vs textured implants (the outer texture of the implant)
• Saline vs silicone implants
Where is the breast implant placed?
How to choose the ideal breast implant for you?
This includes listening to what you want, assessment of your breast, chest and body shape.
You will then have 2-D photographs and 3-D photographs with the Vectra camera system.
Different implants can then be placed into the system allowing you to see what you can expect with different implant shapes and sizes. These can be combined with a Mastopexy so you can see what augmentation alone looks like vs augmentation Mastopexy.Your images are treated with utmost privacy and respect. They will only be used for you. Imagine the ability to simulate what you may look like after surgery.
You will also be able to see and feel examples of different implants. So you can choose the right implant for you.
You will then be able to think about your options and are welcomed back for a second consult with Dr Hadi at no extra charge to go through what you have chosen and to answer all your questions.
Once you have decided to proceed to surgery, you will be looked after by Dr Hadi every step of the way. You will have an all-female theatre for your comfort.
How to prepare for Augmentation Mastopexy surgery?
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Stop all blood thinners unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood . Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients. You will be given a comprehensive list with your consult
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with a medicated soap . These reduce the bacteria living on the skin and there is evidence it reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery. You will be given this time from Kareena Hospital.
How long will Augmenation Mastopexy operation take?
How long will I stay in hospital?
You will be given antibiotic tablets and pain relief tablets to take home so that you can be comfortable. You will be given Dr Hadi’s number to contact her if you have any concerns or questions post operatively.
Mastopexy post-operative garment
Augmentation Mastopexy Sutures
Augmentation Mastopexy scar management
This will be changed to brown tape at the two-week mark. Tape needs to be applied for at least 6 weeks, but may be needed for 12 weeks. This tape is changed weekly. You can shower over the tape and blow dry if needed.
You need to protect the scar from sun exposure for at least 6 months post operatively. This can be achieved by taping or applying sunscreen.
Showering after Augmenation Mastopexy operation
Driving after Augmenation Mastopexy operation
Exercising after Augmenation Mastopexy operation
Going back to work after Augmentation Mastopexy
What can you do after surgery?
- Doing your post-operative exercises. You will be shown how to do these.
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia. Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape). However, 12 weeks may be necessary.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
- Take antibiotics if having dental or medical procedure in the future to prevent implant contamination.
- Keep your implant card. This will contain details of your implants.
- Register your implants online using the implant card details. A pamphlet will be provided to you. This needs to be done within 60 days of your surgery.
What about post-operative visits?
As a minimum, you will be seen by Dr Hadi after surgery, at one week, at six weeks and twelve months after surgery. This is so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.
Plastic surgery before and after photos
Due to the respect and privacy of our patients, we do not publish before and after photos on our website. However, many of our patients have graciously allowed their photos to be viewed by new patients considering the procedure. These photos are available to be viewed during the detailed consultation with Dr Hadi.