Breast Lift (mastopexy)
Drooping breasts are often a concern after weight loss or following breast feeding. A breast lift is an operation performed to reposition the breasts higher on the chest wall. The nipple areolar complexes also sometimes need to be moved higher.
As no two breasts are completely the same, part of the goal for this surgery is to reduce any asymmetry and aim towards natural looking and youthful breasts. The mastopexy operation restores the breasts to an aesthetic shape.
Where there is sufficient tissue, a mastopexy is enough. However, when the breast tissue has been depleted, sometimes breast implants are needed in combination with a breast lift.
During your visit, the pedicle and scar shape will need to be determined. The pedicle of the breast is where the blood supply comes from. These can be superior-medial or inferiorly based. Which one is chosen, depends on what is right for you.
The scar can be around the nipple areolar complex (periarolar), vertical or inverted T. Scar minimisation techniques are used to give you the best wound healing. Liposuction may be used as an adjunct to reduce bulge under the arm pits if needed. Our 3D camera, here at The Swan Clinic, can help you plan your surgery through virtual simulation of what can achieved for you. Dr Hadi will discuss all your options and to ensure you are more than comfortable with the final decision you make.
How can I prepare for surgery?
You will need to see Dr Hadi twice. The first consult takes you through the operation as well as expected results. The second consult is at no extra cost to you and runs through things again. All risks and benefits will be discussed with you and treatment will be tailored to your needs and your body shape.
When you decide to proceed, there are a few things you can do to prepare.
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Two weeks prior to surgery, stop all anticoagulants and antiplatelet medications unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood, a comprehensive list will be provided during your consultation. Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with anti-bacterial soap. These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence it reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery. You will be given this time from Kareena Hospital.
How long will the operation take ?
You will need to be fasted at least six hour before surgery. The operation usually takes around 4 hours and a recovery time of around two weeks. You will need to avoid heavy exercise for around one month.
The operation is performed under general anaesthetic. You will be looked after by a Specialist Anesthetist throughout your operation. Our preferred hospital is Kareena hospital.
How long will I stay in hospital?
Surgery can be day stay or overnight depending on your preference and how you feel. You will be given antibiotic tablets and pain relief tablets to take home so that you can be comfortable. You will be given Dr Hadi’s number to contact her if you have any concerns or questions post operatively.
What about the sutures?
Your wound is closed in layers with dissolvable sutures.
When can I shower?
You can shower from the next dry. The dressings can get wet, please blow dry them if needed after showering.
When can I drive?
You can drive as soon as it is comfortable to do so. This is generally a minimum of one week.
What about scar management?
Post operatively the wounds will be dressed with white hypafix. This will be changed to brown tape at the two week mark. Tape needs to be applied for a few weeks post operatively. Avoid exposing the area to the sun for at least six months. If in the sun, please wear sunscreen or tape the area.
What can you do after surgery?
Your part in the operation is essential. You can help achieve the best possible outcome by:
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia.
- Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Wear the soft crop top from two days after surgery.
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape). However 12 weeks may be necessary.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
What about post operative visits?
As a minimum, you will be seen by Dr Hadi after surgery, the next day, at three months and twelve months after surgery. This is so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the The Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind.
Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.