Breast augmentation is a sophisticated operation involving a combination of implants, fat grafting and accurate implant positioning. There are over 300 implants to choose from ranging from round to anatomical, smooth and textured. Which implant you choose depends on your body shape and chest wall size. It also depends on the look that you want to create.
How to choose the right implant for you ?
- Different heights (how high it sits on the chest wall)
- Different widths (depends on your chest width)
- Different projections (how far it projects from the chest wall)
- Smooth vs textured implants (the outer texture of the implant)
- Saline vs silicone implants
Where to place the implant
- There are three positions, above the muscle, below the muscle or half-half. This means that the upper part of the implant is below the muscle and the lower part of the implant is below the breast glandular tissue.
What look you want to achieve and implant shape ?
- the natural look (anatomical implants)
- the high curve look or Baywatch look (round implants)
How to choose the right implant for you ?
When you come to see us, you will have two consultations with Dr Hadi
This includes listening to what you want, assessment of your breast, chest and body shape.
You will then have 2-D photographs and 3-D photographs with the vectra camera system.
Different implants can then be placed into the system allowing you to see what you can expect with different implant shapes and sizes. Your images are treated with utmost privacy and respect. They will only be used for you. Imagine the ability to simulate what you may look like after surgery.
You will also be able to see and feel examples of different implants. So you can choose the right implant for you.
You will then be able to think about your options and are welcomed back for a second consult with Dr Hadi at no extra charge to go through what you have chosen and to answer all your questions.
Once you have decided to proceed to surgery, you will be looked after by Dr Hadi every step of the way. You will have an all female theatre for your comfort.
How can I prepare for surgery?
When you decide to proceed, there are a few things you can do to prepare.
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Two weeks prior to surgery, stop all anticoagulants and antiplatelet medications unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood, a comprehensive list will be provided during your consultation. Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with anti-bacterial soap. These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence is reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery. You will be given this time from Kareena Hospital.
How long will the operation take ?
You will need to be fasted at least six hour before surgery. The operation will take around two hours. It is performed under general anaesthetic. You will be looked after by a Specialist Anesthetist throughout your operation. Our preferred hospital is Kareena hospital.
Our surgical technique
- the 14 step plan of infection prevention
- prevention of breast implant animation (through careful muscle dissection)
- prevention of bleeding through Meticulous haemostasis
- Special blocks to prevent post operative pain
How long will I stay in hospital?
The surgery is usually performed as day surgery so you can go home the same day as long you are well enough to go home, around two to four hours after surgery is completed.
You will be given antibiotic tablets and pain relief tablets to take home so that you can be comfortable. You will be given Dr Hadi’s number to contact her if you have any concerns or questions post operatively.
Do I need to wear a post operative garment?
We recommend a soft crop top post operatively. This can be purchased for around $20 from K mart.
What about the sutures?
Your wound is closed in layers with dissolvable sutures.
What about scar management?
Post operatively the wounds will be dressed with white hypafix.
This will be changed to brown tape at the two week mark. Tape needs to be applied for at least 6 weeks, but may be needed for 12 weeks. This tape is changed weekly. You can shower over the tape and blow dry if needed.
You need to protect the scar from sun exposure for at least 6 months post operatively. This can be achieved by taping or applying sunscreen.
When can I shower?
You can shower from the next dry. The dressings can get wet, please blow dry them if needed after showering.
When can I drive?
You can drive as soon as it is comfortable to do so. This is generally a minimum of one week.
What can you do after surgery?
Your part in the operation is essential. You can help achieve the best possible outcome by:
- Doing your post operative exercises. You will be shown how to do these.
- Doing deep breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia. Take tablet antibiotics as prescribed to avoid infection
- Wear the soft crop top from two days after surgery.
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape). However 12 weeks may be necessary.
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
What about post operative visits?
As a minimum, you will be seen by Dr Hadi after surgery, the next day, at three months and twelve months after surgery. This is so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the The Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind. Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.