Mini Tummy tuck
A mini tummy tuck is the perfect operation for patients wishing minimal down time. It is a two-hour operation with fast recovery. It is best for patients wishing to improve the contour of the lower part of the tummy. The scar is generally shorter than a full tummy tuck and is performed as day surgery. The surgery can be performed under general anaesthesia or local anaesthetic with sedation.
Liposuction may also be performed as a separate procedure.
At The Swan Clinic we strive to tailor treatment to you and together we will decide where the scar will sit and how long the scar needs to be.
How can I prepare for surgery?
You will need to see Dr Hadi twice. The first consult takes you through the operation as well as expected results. The second consult is at no extra cost to you and runs through things again. All risks and benefits will be discussed with you and treatment will be tailored to your needs and your body shape.
When you decide to proceed, there are a few things you can do to prepare.
- Eat healthily by avoid excessively fatty foods and foods high in sugar.
- Stop smoking as this significantly increases complications rates. You cannot smoke for 6 weeks prior and 6 weeks after surgery.
- Stop all blood thinners, unless previously discussed with Dr Hadi. Please stop any over the counter medications that might thin the blood such as fish oil, krill oil and ginseng. Please check any over the counter medications to see whether they contain these ingredients.
- Shower the night before or the morning of surgery with a medicated antibacterial soap. These reduce the bacterial living on the skin and there is evidence it reduces chance of infection.
- Fast (do not eat anything) at least 6 hours prior to surgery.
How long will the operation take?
The operation takes around two hours with a recovery time of one week. You can go back to swimming and gentle exercise after two weeks with a complete recovery time of one month. You will need a garment after surgery to help reduce swelling.
How long will I stay in hospital?
The operation is usually performed as day surgery.
You will be given antibiotic tablets and pain relief tablets to take home so that you can be comfortable.
You will be given Dr Hadi’s number to contact her if you have any concerns or questions post operatively.
What about the analgesia?
This operation is not very painful. You will have local anaesthetic placed during surgery. In addition, you will be given tablet analgesia to keep you comfortable throughout your recovery.
What about the sutures?
Your wound is closed in layers with dissolvable sutures
What about scar management?
Post operatively the wounds will be dressed with white hypafix.
This will be changed to brown tape at the two week mark. Tape needs to be applied for at least 6 weeks, but may be needed for 12 weeks. This tape is changed weekly. You can shower over the tape and blow dry if needed.
You need to protect the scar from sun exposure for at least 6 months post operatively. This can be achieved by taping or applying sunscreen.
When can I shower?
You can shower the next day.
When can I drive?
You can drive as soon as it is comfortable to do so and you can press on the peddles without feeling pain. This is usually one week.
What can you do after surgery?
Your part in the operation is essential. You can help achieve the best possible outcome by:
- Avoid heavy exercise for one month.
- Take the tablet antibiotics prescribed to avoid infection
- Wear a garment if necessary in your case. Please wear this as much as possible, usually for 2 weeks.
- Do not smoke for at least 6 weeks after surgery
- Tape the wound to give the best possible scar for around 6 weeks (brown micropore tape)
- Come back for regular review as detailed in the next section to ensure your healing is progressing at each stage.
What about post operative visits?
As a minimum, you will be seen by Dr Hadi after surgery, the next day, at three months and twelve months after surgery. This is so that you can have the best possible outcome.
Please call the Swan Clinic on 9526-6885 following your surgery to ensure we have booked all your follow up appointments.
As our patient at the Swan Clinic, you will be well looked after and can always count on our honesty as we always have your wellbeing in mind.
Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions